TEACHING ASIAN LANGUAGES MA Application Instructions
Fall 2023 graduate admissions cycle is now open.
Application deadline: January 15, 2023
UCLA Graduate Admissions for Teaching Asian Languages MA
All applicants are required to submit a UCLA online Application for Graduate Admission, upload all required and supplemental material to the UCLA Application for Graduate Admission site, and mail all official transcripts and GRE scores to the department. Be sure to follow all the directions indicated on the application website or your application will not be considered.
Note: When submitting the online application, your degree objective should be for the Teaching Asian Languages MA (major code 00CE) Please note we do not offer any other MA programs. Please see link below if you are interested in obtaining an MA in East Asian Studies. Please note that if you submit your application to the incorrect program, your application will not be reviewed.
Required Application Fee:
U.S. citizens & Permanent Residents: $120.00 USD
All other applicants: $140.00 USD
**Applications will not be considered if application fee is not submitted.
To begin your UCLA Application for Graduate Admission
The Online UCLA Application for Graduate Admission must be completed and submitted by January 15, 2023. Late applications will not be considered.
All official electronic test scores and transcripts will be accepted directly from the respective institution and testing service (ex: ETS, GRE). Please direct them to ALC Graduate Advisor, Fatin Zubi, firstname.lastname@example.org. Any copies of transcripts delivered directly by the applicant will not be accepted.
If you are unable to request an official electronic transcript, please have official sealed copies mailed to the following address:
UCLA Department of Asian Languages & Cultures
290 ROYCE HALL
LOS ANGELES, CA 90095-1540
Department Supplemental Materials
All applicants must submit supplemental materials online to the “UCLA Application for Graduate Admission” website by application deadline: January 15, 2023.
For detailed information about supplemental materials, please visit:
Graduate Division Admission Materials
1. Personal Statement
2. Statement of Purpose
3. Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
4. Graduate Opportunity Fellowship Program (Optional)
- Personal Statement – Please refer to the instructions listed on the online application
- Statement of Purpose – Please refer to the instructions listed on the online application
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation should: 1) Attest to the applicant’s readiness for graduate study, 2) Establish the applicant’s intellectual abilities and knowledgeable of the expectations of graduate education programs in the applicant’s chosen area of specialization, and 3) Be written in English. Recommendations MUST include the UCLA letter of recommendation cover form, which is also available online for your recommender. The Graduate Division will send them an email with instructions once you enter the names and email addresses of your recommenders on your online application.
- Graduate Opportunity Fellowship Program (GOFP)
Students who wish to be considered please address the following: any aspects of your personal background, accomplishments, or achievements that will allow the department to evaluate your contributions to the University’s diversity mission. If applicable, describe how your academic pursuits may serve the under-represented and disadvantaged communities. In addition, please describe any aspects of your personal background that might add to the diversity of the graduate student population. See the UCLA Diversity website for more information on its mission. UCLA Diversity
The GRE is not required to apply to the MA in Teaching Asian Languages. If an applicant wishes to submit GRE scores, please note that GRE scores should not be older than five years. Applicants who wish to submit scores should use the codes below.
UCLA institution code (4837)
Asian Languages department code (2601)
- Official Transcripts
1. One copy of the official transcript is REQUIRED of each graduate and undergraduate institution attended where you received a degree/diploma. Include one official copy of any other undergraduate transcripts that you have. If you are unable to obtain electronic official copies, then official transcripts must be in a sealed envelope with the seal of the registrar across the back. DO NOT open your transcripts before mailing them. Unofficial copies will be accepted with your online application, however, please note if you are admitted to the program, your admission will be pending upon receipt of official transcripts from both undergraduate and graduate institutions.
International Applicants must submit:
1. One (1) copy of your transcripts/academic records in your native language
2. One (1) copy of a certified English translation of your transcripts/academic records
3. One (1) official diploma certificates showing degree conferred and date of conferral if your transcripts does not list the degree conferred (such as China, etc.).
Please see this link on requirements for international transcripts: Required Academic Records For International Applicants.
- Fellowship Application(s) for Entering Students You are strongly encouraged to apply for every fellowship to which you are eligible. You do not need to complete this form if you completed the fellowship section on your online application. See Fellowship Application page for more information, visit Fellowship Application.
In addition to the materials outlined above, you will need to submit the following:
- Confidential Financial Statement
Download form at Confidential Financial Statement. While this is not required in order for your application to be reviewed, you are strongly encouraged to submit this with the rest of your application materials. If admitted to the program, you will be required to submit this form in order for your visa eligibility certificate (I-20) to be processed. The bank letter and the confidential financial statement must be dated AFTER the UCLA online application submission date, or else it will not be valid. For more information, visit: Visa Process Details.
- TOEFL or IELTS
International applicants whose first language is not English must certify their proficiency in English when applying to UCLA through the TOEFL or IELTS. Scores must be sent to the department by January 15, 2023.
UCLA institution code (4837)
Asian Languages department code (29)
TOEFL scores are only valid for two years. Scores taken before January 2019 will not be accepted. Students must receive the minimum TOEFL or IELTS scores in order to be considered for the Ph.D. program. Please see the Graduate Division TOEFL/English Requirements website.
EXCEPTIONS: International applicants who hold a bachelor’s or higher degree from a university located in the United States or in another country in which English is both the spoken language and the medium of instruction, or who have completed at least two years of full-time study at such an institution, are exempted from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement.