Placement Exams for Fall 2020 – COMPLETE
Placement Exams for Winter 2021 – TO BE ANNOUNCED
The next opportunity to take a placement exam in one of the languages outlined above will be during Week 1 of the Winter 2021 Quarter. The registration process for these exams will be announcement approximately 2-3 weeks before the start of the winter quarter. Please note that our department is not currently able to provide individual placement exams. There are no make-up exams available. The final opportunity to take a placement exam will be during week 1 of the Winter 2021 Quarter.
The below outlines general recommendations for all students BEFORE taking a remote placement exam. More specific exam instructions will be provided once the exam registration becomes available:
1) Please make sure that you have a laptop/desktop (PC/MAC) with a webcam and a microphone to take the test. The library has a lending program for laptops and other technologies which may assist you.
2) Please do not use tablets or smartphones to take the placement exam as these are not compatible with the CCLE test taking environment.
3) Headphones are recommended for the listening comprehension questions.
4) A smartphone or scanner may be required in order to upload written answers during the exam. We recommend using apps such as CamScanner (for Android phones) or Scannable (for IPhones) for such purposes. Please practice using these technologies before taking the exam. IMPORTANT: you cannot use your smartphone at any other time during the exam.
5) Please be sure that you install Zoom on your computer, and familiarize yourself with the software, before the exam day. You will need to understand how to log into Zoom, how to change your display name, and how to open/operate the chat function (including private chat). We recommend practicing with friends/family in advance, you can also review the UCLA HumTech Support page for information on Zoom Video Conferencing and troubleshooting.
6) You will need to have access to your UID so that you can log into the testing site through MyUCLA.
Placement exams are offered during Fall quarter and Winter quarter only. Placement exams are NOT offered during First-Year and Transfer orientations. For placement exam schedule please select from the languages above.
Make-up exams or Individual placement exams are not offered, please plan accordingly. Students who miss the exam will have to wait until the next quarter it is offered.
Placement Exam Guidelines
(1) All students are required to take a placement exam to enroll in language courses with the exception of first-level language courses (ie. Chinese 1, Japanese 1, etc.) or if the course prerequisite is satisfied by transfer credit . First-level courses are limited to students with no background in the language.
(2) Students who wish to test out of the foreign language requirement may take the placement exam. (For a 1-year requirement, students must score a 4 or higher. For a 2-year requirement, students must score a 100A or higher.)
College of Letters and Science and Foreign Language Requirement– If a student passes out of an elementary-level language (1 year) and has not met the college language requirement, a language waiver is automatically sent to the college. Students should NOT request an individual language waiver letter from ALC.
School of Engineering – If a student passes out of an elementary-level language (1 year) and wishes to be waived out of the language requirement, the student must email the ALC office or meet with an ALC counselor for a language waiver letter. Language waivers are NOT automatically sent.
School of the Arts and Architecture – If a student passes out of two quarters or more of an elementary-level language and wishes to be waived out of the language requirement, the student must email the ALC office or meet with an ALC counselor for a language waiver letter. Language waivers are NOT automatically sent.
Major/minor language requirements– Students who need to show proof of passing out of a major/minor language requirement must email the ALC office or meet with an ALC counselor for a language waiver letter. Language waivers are NOT automatically sent. (This includes Art History, IDS, English Departments)
COLLEGE FOREIGN LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT EXEMPTION
Students can be exempted from this requirement in one of the following ways:
- College of Letters & Science (L&S) students with a F1, A1, A2 or J1 visa who are held by Admissions for ESL are exempt from the Foreign Language requirement.
- Any L&S UCLA student (regardless of visa status) who has attended a high school for a minimum of 2 years in which the primary language of instruction was a language other than English may petition to be exempted from the Foreign Language requirement at their UCLA College advising office (i.e. College Academic Counseling, AAP Counseling, Honors Counseling, or Athletics Counseling). This request is made at the College advising office by turning in high school transcripts that indicate a minimum of 2 years attendance at a high school in which the primary language of instruction was in a language other than English.
- New students who are attending a New Student Orientation session can direct these inquiries to New Student & Transition Programs, and advisors there will verify your work.
- After orientation, students who wish to petition for this exemption can direct their petitions to your UCLA College advising office, and that advising office will verify the work.
Students who have attended a high school in which the language of instruction was both English and a language other than English do not qualify to petition to be exempted from the College of Letters & Science Foreign Language Requirement. These students are advised to consider taking a Foreign Language Placement exam. Placement into the 4th quarter or above of a Foreign Language will satisfy the UCLA College Foreign Language Requirement.
I just took the placement exam, how do I know if I waived out of the language requirement?
If you placed into course 4 or higher you have fulfilled the 1 year Letters and Sciences language requirement. Additionally, the department automatically sends a note to the College to waive you out of the Foreign Language Requirement (as long as you passed into course 4 or higher of a language). It won’t be reflected on your DPR until the end of the quarter (this includes graduating seniors).
If you took a placement exam in a prior quarter and your DPR does not reflect your foreign language requirement as “satisfied”, please come to the office to verify your results to be sent to the College of Academic Counseling. You will need to provide your name, UID and the quarter you took the placement test.
I want to enroll into a language course but I’m not sure how to read my results.
Your placement score is the course you are eligible to enroll into, and you may not enroll into a higher or lower level course. Please note that language courses are sequential so you may have to wait a quarter or two before you can enroll into the course you were placed into.
I took the placement exam, but MyUCLA is not letting me enroll.
MyUCLA does not recognize your placement score, therefore the department will have to manually enroll you into the course.
For the Fall 2020 Quarter all enrollment via placement exam is being done via THIS FORM. Please click the link and complete the form. You will need to submit one form for each language class you need to enroll. Please read the instructions carefully.
How long will I be able to access my results for?
Results will be available for a limited time, so you may want to save/print the results for your records.
I need to verify my placement score with my major/minor department counselor (ie. Art History, English) what do I need to do?
Please contact the undergraduate counselor and after verifying your placement results they will issue a verification letter or e-mail to your department counselor directly.
I missed the placement exam, when is the next placement exam?
There are no make-up exams or individual placement exams. Students who miss the exam will have to wait until the next quarter offered.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES will a make-up exam or individual placement exam be administered for any students. Please be sure to check ahead of time to note which placement tests will be held each quarter as times vary for each language.
Please plan accordingly.
Placement exams are offered during week 0 of Fall Quarter and week 1 of Winter Quarter or Spring Quarter. There are NO placement exams offered during Freshmen and Transfer orientations. Students need to check the ALC website about a month prior to the start of the quarter for exam dates and registration information: www.alc.ucla.edu.
I am a non-UCLA student interested in taking the placement exam, what should I do?
Because of the situation with the global pandemic we are currently not able to provide placement exams to non-UCLA students.
I plan to take the Fall placement exam but I am interested in taking a language course in the Fall too. What should I do?
The department reserves a limited number of spaces in the intermediate and advanced language courses for students who plan to take the Fall placement exam. If your placement results place you into a course offered in the Fall (level 4, 100A, 100R, 101A) you must complete THIS FORM. All Fall 2020 enrollment requests must be submitted via the request form.