How do I apply to a graduate program at UCLA?

Please visit the UCLA Graduate Admissions website for more information on the application process. http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/gasaa/admissions/applicat.htm

Do I need an MA degree first before applying for the PhD program?

Students are not required to have an MA before applying to the PhD program in Asian Languages and Cultures. All students who received a U.S equivalent of a Bachelor’s (BA) degree can apply. Students who do not have an MA prior to starting the program will complete one in the department as part of their PhD program.

What is the minimum GRE score?

The department does not have a minimum GRE score. However, all applicants are required to take the GREs before December. Applicants who take the GRE after December will not be considered.

What is your department code for the GRE?

GRE Codes UCLA institution code (R4837) Asian Languages department code (2601)

What is the minimum TOEFL/IELTS score?

Please see the Graduate Admissions website for TOEFL/English requirement. http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/gasaa/admissions/ENGREQ.HTM

What is the deparment code for TOEFL/IELTS?

TOEFL/IELTS codes UCLA institution code (4837) Asian Languages department code (29)

Can I use my GRE or TOEFL score if it has expired?

No. Applicants must re-take the exam before December 1 if their scores have expired. GRE scores expire after 5 years of when the exam was taken. TOEFL scores expire after 2 years.

When is the application deadline?

The graduate application deadline is December 1. The online application must be submitted by December 1. All supplemental materials must be postmarked by December 1.

Does the department have a terminal MA-only program?

No. Students who are interested in an MA degree should consider an MA in East Asian Studies, which is housed in a different department. http://www.international.ucla.edu/idps/eastasia/masters.asp

How can I contact professors/faculty in the department?

Faculty contact can be found under the “People” link from the main webpage.

What type of funding is available?

Incoming students are considered for departmental funding in the form of fellowships, teaching assistantships and other forms of award. Applicants should read the ‘Financial Support for Entering Graduate Students’ for more information about funding opportunities at UCLA and are encouraged to apply for any external fellowships available outside of UCLA to fund their studies.

Do I need to be proficient in an Asian language before applying to the PhD program?

While applicants can apply to the PhD program with no language background, strong candidates for the program are generally proficient (minimum 3 years of academic language study) in at least one Asian language prior to applying.

My undergraduate degree is not in an Asian studies-related field, can I still apply to the PhD?

All interested applicants are encouraged to apply regardless of undergraduate major. However, applicants should clearly state academic purpose of pursuing a PhD in Asian Language and Cultures and any relevant experience that would make them a strong candidate for the program and field.

I'm still lost. Help!

Drop by the department office in Royce Hall 290, email the Graduate Student Affairs Officer, Fatin Zubi at fzubi@humnet.ucla.edu, or give her a call at (310) 267-4037.